Maybe it’s something you’ve had your whole life, something that developed over the years, or something you noticed recently. This is a condition called submental fullness, which some people refer to as “double chin.” You don’t have to be overweight to have fullness under your chin. And sometimes, no matter how much you exercise or diet, the condition may not go away.
WHAT CAUSES SUBMENTAL FULLNESS?
Both men and women may be affected by submental fullness, which can be caused by:
KYBELLA® may be right for you if:
- You’re bothered (unhappy, self-conscious, embarrassed) by fat under the chin, also known as submental fullness
- You feel the condition makes you look older or heavier than you actually are
- You eat well & exercise, but submental fullness does not go away
- You don’t want to have surgery
HOW KYBELLA® WORKS
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA®destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since everyone’s chin profile is different, the number of treatments varies from patient to patient. Your Allure Kybella Specialist will help determine how many treatment sessions you need based on the amount and distribution of your submental fat and your personal treatment goals. Each KYBELLA® treatment session is given at least 6 weeks apart, and you should not receive more than 6 treatments. In clinical studies, 59% of patients received 6 treatments.
We advise allowing for 4-6 weeks ahead of any big social event or photo sessions (ie, weddings, family pictures, etc). After treatment, you will likely have some swelling, bruising, and/or numbness in the treated area(s). Bruising should subside within several days. Swelling & numbness may last several weeks. Be sure to inform your healthcare professional if you develop an uneven smile, facial muscle weakness, or difficulty swallowing as these are very rare but possible side effects.
The most common side effects occur in the treatment area and include:
- Areas of hardness
* Side effects are usually temporary and often resolve on their own.
KYBELLA® can cause serious side effects, including nerve injury in the jaw that can temporarily cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness (experienced by 4 out of 100 people in clinical studies) and trouble swallowing (experienced by 2 out of 100 people in clinical studies). In clinical studies, nerve injury in the jaw resolved on its own in a median of 44 days (range of 1 to 298 days), and trouble swallowing resolved on its own in a median of 3 days (range of 1 to 81 days).
Be sure to tell your provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
- Have had or have trouble swallowing
- Have bleeding problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if KYBELLA®will harm your unborn baby)
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if KYBELLA® passes into your breast milk; talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive KYBELLA®)
- Are taking any medications, especially blood thinners